Suffering the after-effects of a stroke and colon cancer, 69-year-old Koon Liong was paralysed on one side of his body. He suffered from incontinence, and could not take care of himself and his home.
AMH (Homecare) palliative nursing staff visits him at home regularly, ensuring that he gets relief from the constant pain and symptoms.
But Koon Liong’s needs go beyond medical and emotional. He needs help with simple Activities of Daily Living (ADL), such as laundry and showering.
To meet this need, MWS has expanded our homecare services, and launched a new service – MWS HomeJoy.
MWS HomeJoy provides en-suite services to seniors above the age of 55, who are living alone or may be receiving inadequate caregiving, and require assistance in their ADLs or instrumental Activities of Daily Living, such as shopping for groceries (iADL).
Teams of Senior Care Associates (SCAs) will make home visits to assist beneficiaries with their hygiene, grooming, laundry, simple housekeeping, medication reminders, or monitoring of vital signs.
Giving caregivers a respite
“Not only does this service provide very essential help to seniors who are living alone, it also helps seniors who are dependent on caregivers,” Dr Jamie Phang, Head of MWS HomeJoy.
“With HomeJoy, we want to enable our older clients to live in their homes, in a community that they are comfortable and familiar with, despite their frailty,” said Dr Phang. “At the same time, we will support caregivers in the care of their older and frail family members.”
Needs we meet:
– Medical care to manage chronic diseases such as diabetes
– Nursing care including feeding and urine tubes change, wound care, medication management
– Therapy and rehabilitation in recuperation from stroke, fracture, prolonged hospital stay
– Senior home care such as assisted shower or bed sponging, elder-sitting
– Case management, assessment, information and referrals
– Dementia interventions
Who we serve:
– People aged 60 years old and above.
– Have difficulty getting out of their homes.
– Require regular medical or nursing care.
– Need help with activities of daily living.
– Live within our service boundaries (postal code starts with 17-20, 38-40)